BARBARA BLAKE is a bright, young, attractive, and ambitious defense attorney. Alejandro Soto, an inmate already serving two life sentences for the brutal murder of a drug dealer and the man’s mother, is on trial for a third murder, one he did not commit but that could well result in the Death Penalty. When Blake and Soto meet in the San Cristobal, California courtroom, they begin a 120-day journey that will invariably alter both of their lives. Together, they spiral ever more deeply into the dark heart of a quintessentially American story of sex and love, truth and lies, justice and prejudice, crime and punishment, and, ultimately, life and death.
1. When and where do you prefer to write?
I try to write five times a week when I believe I will be alert and have at least two hours of uninterrupted time available. Usually, I write in my office at home, but I can write anywhere I might happen to be – in an airport, in a motel room, etc.
2. Do you have a certain ritual?
The only ritual I have is being alert and thinking I will have at least two hours at my disposal.
3. Is there a drink of some food that keeps you company while you write?
4. What is your favourite book?
Cormac McCarthy’s All the Pretty Horses.
5. Do you consider writing a different genre in the future?
6. Do you sometimes base your characters on people you know?
Just about always because it is difficult to write about someone that is a complete stranger to you.
7. Do you take a notebook everywhere in order to write down ideas that pop up?
8. Which genre do you not like at all?
Romance stories and self-aggrandizing memoirs.
9. If you had the chance to co-write a book. Whom would it be with?
William Faulkner, the greatest American writer that has ever lived, in my opinion.
10. If you should travel to a foreign country to do research, which one would you chose and why?
Bolivia, because there are so many different strata of civilization still there—from the very lowest to the very highest.
Thank you, Ronald L. Ruiz and
About the author
Ronald L. Ruiz is a retired attorney whose entire career was spent in criminal law as a deputy District Attorney, a District Attorney, a Defense Attorney and a Public Defender.
Connect with the author
Amazon US : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1WF7B5/