When falling in love comes with the risk of falling flat on your face …
Former Olympic skating champion Katie Saunders is well known for her ‘ice queen’ persona in the press. On the face of it, perhaps Katie should have forgiven her former skating partner and ex-boyfriend, Alex Michaelson, for the accident that shattered both her ankle and their Olympic dreams – but she just can’t seem to let it go.
When Katie reluctantly agrees to take part in a new TV skating show, it’s only because she’s desperate for cash. What she didn’t count on is the drama – not only is she partnered up with infamous love rat rugby player Jamie Welsh, but one of the judges is none other than Alex Michaelson himself.
As the show progresses, will Katie be shown the hard way, once again, that romance on the ice should remain strictly off-limits?
- Did or do you like to read comic books/grapic novels? Which ones?
I’ve never read comic books or graphic novels!
- Whom did you inherit your love for books/reading from?
My parents have always loved reading. My mum usually has a psychological thriller on the go and we love to share recommendations and swap books, although that’s harder now I read most things on my Kindle.
- When you need a murder victim or someone you can diagnose with a serious disease or someone who is involved in a fatal accident do you sometimes picture someone nasty you have met in real life and think ‘got you’ LOL?
Ha! I usually feel so guilty about the ordeals my characters go through. Be it illness or assault or divorce or grief, I don’t enjoy putting them through it!
- How do you come up with the names for your characters?
With great difficulty. I keep a log of all character names in everything I’ve written otherwise I know I’ll just choose the same names over and over again. I really love asking for name suggestions from my social media followers and usually get some great ideas from them if I’m stuck.
- Do write other things beside books (and shoppinglists 😉 )?
The occasional blog for my website (which I think about five people follow)!
- If your movie or series would be made from your books, would you be happy with the ‘based on’ version or would you rather like they showed it exactly the way you created it?
Great question. It would depend on how much they changed the story or the characters. I’d like to think they would stay the same but perhaps some things would need to be changed to make the story work better for TV/ film.
- Who would you like/have liked to interview?
One of my author inspirations, such as Donna Tartt, Stephen King, Roald Dahl, or Amanda Prowse.
- Do you have certain people you contact while doing research to pick their brains? What are they specialized in?
It depends on the story. I’ve recently asked people I know for help with understanding experiences of certain illnesses, various ice-skating questions, how community service works, and what happens when a will is disputed. It’s such an odd collection of topics but these all feature in upcoming novels!
- Is there someone you sometimes discuss a dilemma with?
My husband – he gives good advice and then usually finds a way to make me laugh about whatever conundrum I’m facing.
- What is more important to you : a rating in stars with no comments or a reviewer who explains what the comments they give are based on (without spoilers of course)
I love to know what people think so I like comments! It also helps me to learn if I need to make improvements.
Thank you, Helen Buckley and Rachel’s Random Resources.
About the author
Helen Buckley lives in Bedfordshire with her husband and two sons. After working in the charity sector in the UK and abroad, she turned her hand to writing and her first novel, Star in the Shadows, was published in 2019.
She writes any moment that she can, enthralled by stories of fame, romance, and happy ever afters. Apart from being addicted to writing and enjoying soft play with her sons, she’s an avid reader, action-movie fan, and chocolate addict.
Twitter – HelenCBuckley
Insta – helencatherinebuckley
Sign up to Helen’s newsletter for the latest updates and exclusive content – http://eepurl.com/hs251H