When we walk we see things that we would have missed if we drove. Things like birds, cats, & squirrels. When we walk we have fun spending time together. We talk and learn how walking can help to care for our planet. Join Siena and her dad as they walk to school and discover every little step counts.
This is the second book in the Siena’s Stories series. The first book, The Dance of the Snow Tractors, was named a top book for children in the automobile category by Newsweek magazine.
– When and where do you prefer to write?
I like to walk and think of new stories. I write on a laptop in my home office. I use MS PowerPoint. I insert the text and then I find personal pictures or pictures online to place in the story board as reference for Shannon to draw. We will tweak the story and art as we go.
– Do you have a certain ritual?
I walk almost daily on a path behind my house for exercise and to search for my favourite bird, the cardinal. I will work my walk into a future book about local wildlife.
– Is there a drink of some food that keeps you company while you write?
I enjoy a nice medium strength coffee with lots of milk and sweetener.
– What is your favourite book?
My favourite book is The Great Gatsby. I first read it in university and loved it ever since.
– Do you consider writing a different genre in the future?
I really enjoy murder mysteries but writing is not easy to me. My present books are mostly pictures.
– Do you sometimes base your characters on people you know?
All my characters are based on real people and events. I want to give a snapshot of life within my geographic zone. Short and simple stories that have nice pictures and bright colours to engage the children. I studied history in university and learned that even the mundane life of a population will be of interest to future generations. My books will help them learn who we were.
– Do you take a notebook everywhere in order to write down ideas that pop up?
I use the notes app on my iPhone. I find it very helpful as my memory is not what it used to be. Also my family and friends give me ideas based on their jobs or hobbies.
– Which genre do you not like at all?
Horror is not my thing.
– If you had the chance to co-write a book. Whom would it be with?
Robert Munsch. I love his books.
– If you should travel to a foreign country to do research, which one would you chose and why?
I have been fortunate to travel quite a bit in my life and was stationed in Germany and the Middle East during my service in the military. I would enjoy returning to Italy, The UK, and Germany to create unique stories with my daughter Siena.
About the Author
Siena is a real Canadian kid who likes making up stories with her father. Both of whom choose to create these books somewhat anonymously.